Ken’s relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ officially began at 15, when he accepted the Lord Jesus Christ into his heart during a series of evangelistic meetings in Longmont, Colorado in the Western United States.
He graduated from Seattle Pacific College in 1971 with a BA degree in Economics and Business Administration and began his post-college career in accounting and credit management in Seattle. Ken’s pursued an active interest in politics for many years and worked for a political party in Spokane, WA. Then he moved to Boise, ID and spent 15 years serving as Executive Director of the Better Business Bureau. During that time, he received several achievement awards and led the organization from a point of bankruptcy to the status of Better Business Bureau of the Year.
As a child, Ken was exposed to several religious denominations, which has helped to prepare him for full-time ministry. At the age of 21, he began praying freedom regularly for people that the Lord brought his way. Ken continued to pray safe and controlled freedom and healing prayer for those who suffer from oppression caused by the presence of demonic forces in their lives. Finally, the Lord called him to full-time ministry in October 1991, and he has been given keys to bring freedom to those who have been tormented by severe and traumatic abuse.
Ken desires to live a life totally surrendered and consecrated to Christ Jesus (Gal. 2:20). His heart is full of compassion for people, especially for those who have been “left for dead” by people who do not understand the cause of their suffering. He also cares deeply for America and is concerned about the nation’s slide into secular humanism, socialism and moral depravity. He longs to see an ethical and dynamic business community that honors the Lord in all aspects of a free market system.
Sylvia was brought to Christ as a child through the faith of her father, who became a fervent believer after a personal encounter with Jesus that transformed his life. She was confirmed in the Lutheran Church at the age of 12, but did not come to know the Lord Jesus Christ personally at that time.
Several hurtful events negatively impacted the close relationship with her father, and Sylvia also turned away from faith in God. She pursued “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness,” according to the self-centered ways of the world. She gained recognition, achievement and success by pursuing a career in business management and computer sales. Considered to be “highly successful” by the world’s standards, she did not find life, liberty or the happiness she had longed for by accumulating wealth and awards.
Sylvia finally committed her life totally to the Lord Jesus Christ on America’s Independence Day, July 4, 1988. She spent many years studying the Word of God and gradually began ministering to His people with the gifts of prophetic teaching, intercession, healing and giving financially to support ministers of the Gospel. By divine appointment, she met Ken in 1994, and the Spirit of the Lord indicated that their union would serve to multiply their gifts in a powerful ministry that would reach many nations. Together, they have served the Lord Jesus Christ in team ministry since 1996.
After they married in 1995, Sylvia resigned her business position at year’s end in order to join Ken in full-time ministry. She now shares the mantle of anointing and responsibility that God gave to Ken, and they travel wherever the Lord directs, serving shoulder-to-shoulder in powerful team ministry. Their teaching anointing establishes teams that ministers deliverance and healing for those who are captive and oppressed by demonic forces. Sylvia’s life is now dedicated to knowing and reflecting the Father’s heart of love. Her own heart’s desire is to walk by faith and obedience to Him, and to speak forth the messages given to her by the Holy Spirit with anointed clarity and spiritual authority.
Statement of Beliefs
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God. (II Timothy 3:16)
- In One True God who is revealed as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (John 14:18-27; 2 Corinthians 13:14)
- In the Deity of the only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, and that He came to earth as man. (I Timothy 3:16; Matthew 1:23)
- In the salvation of sinners by grace through repentance and faith. (Ephesians 2:8-9; Hebrews 9:12-22; Romans 5:11)
- In the operation of the gifts of the Spirit individually and corporately (I Corinthians 12:14)
- Divine healing through the power of Christ is available for every believer. (James 5:14; 1 Peter 2:24)
- As Believers in Jesus Christ, we receive eternal life. (Mark 9:43-50; 2 Thessalonians 1:9; Revelations 20:10-15)
- It is the will of God that each believer be filled with the Holy Spirit. (Acts 1:8; Acts 19:1-6)
- Every believer is given power to live a victorious, overcoming life. (1 John 5:4)
- The Lord Jesus Christ has given us power over all the works of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means harm us. (Luke 10:19)
- He has commanded us to heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, and cast out demons in His name. (Matthew 10:8)
Why Does Freedom Encounters (FE) Have This Ministry?
FE is dedicated to the restoration of spirit, soul and body for every believer. We are also equipping the saints of God and establishing teams that are trained, equipped and prepared as partners with FE to assist others in this ministry throughout America and other nations of the world.